Fentanyl – A killer high
What is fentanyl? Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid pain reliever that is used by doctors to treat severe pain. According to CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention), “It is 50 to 100 times more potent than morphine.” There are two types of fentanyl:
- Pharmaceutical fentanyl: It is legal, and is prescribed to manage acute pain associated with advanced cancer.
- Non-pharmaceutical fentanyl: This variety is manufactured illicitly and is usually mixed with heroin and/or cocaine to amplify the drug’s effect. The user may or may not be aware of the composition of this variety.
- Feelings of euphoria and relaxation
- False sense of well-being
- Nausea and vomiting
- Drug-seeking behavior
- Drug tolerance
- Respiratory depression or arrest