Boost Your Self-Esteem to Achieve Greater Success
Self-esteem or positive self-image is considered to be the single most important element determining the level of success you’re going to enjoy in life. We usually attribute failure to a lot of external factors, but according to many self-help experts, low self-esteem may be a major underlying reason behind it. To mark the importance of self-esteem as a critical element of our character, February is observed as the International Boost Your Self-Esteem month.
What’s self-esteem and how it affects your life?
Self-esteem is the self-image you have in your mind. In a fast paced life, we are often exposed to situations, where we feel deeply hurt. Our self-respect takes a nosedive and we feel overwhelmed too. The onus is on us to take charge and discover positivity in every setback. As a human, nobody is perfect and each one of us has strengths and weaknesses. Here are a few tips to boost your self-esteem:
- What is affecting your self-esteem It’s important to know what is affecting your self-esteem. It may be your traumatic past, some abuse you might have been subjected to, or your own critic sitting inside you. Once you identify the reason, you can find ways to work on it.
- Avoid negative self-talk The tone and language you use to speak to yourself has a deep impact on your life and everything you do. Marie Forleo, the American life coach and motivational speaker, has emphasized the importance of flipping the script in her blog in order to become a better writer.*
- Connect with people who love you Critics may cause harm to your self-esteem and can hurt or deeply upset you. Therefore, it’s required for you to connect with people who love you. In our fast paced society, we must employ a support network to guard against these setbacks.
- Learn to be assertive At times, you’re required to be assertive. People, who don’t like themselves, usually assume that others don’t like them e
Learn to say “no” – If you don’t want to do something, simply don’t do it. Don’t try to please others.
Set your own rules – Draw the line and decide how much you are going to do for others.
Take charge of your own decisions – This habit will go a long way in making you self-reliant and successful.
- Set yourself a challenge If you always worry about what people will think about you, you may never be able to achieve anything wonderful in life. Pick small but challenging goals; when you start achieving small goals, they can give a big boost to your self-esteem.
- Focus on your positives Always focus on your positives as there are already many people in the world, who always find faults. Very few people actually focus on your positives.
- Take care of yourself People with low dignity are often found to neglect their well-being. So, take care of your physical and mental health, by avoiding stress, taking sufficient sleep, improving your eating habits, exercising regularly and never engaging in substance abuse or addiction.
You deserve happiness and all the good things in life. So, build your self-confidence and don’t allow your low self-esteem to negatively impact your life. Therapy sessions are conducted by certified therapists to address issues like low self-esteem and poor self-image.